As an introduction to their topic 'Scrumdiddlyumptious!,' Year 3 hosted a visit from Carl Turner of The Ministry of Chocolate. Carl wrote to us after his visit to say...
Just a quick message to say a big thank you to all the children and the staff at Ravensthorpe Junior School – it was a pleasure to teach your year 3 children.
I was really impressed by the behaviour and diligence of the children – they listened exceptionally well, asked great questions and generally wanted to enjoy the workshop and learn about chocolate, which was lovely as it makes it more enjoyable for everyone. I think the day was a huge success! It was obvious to me that the teaching and behaviour standards are very high at Ravensthorpe, and consistent, and this appears to be reflected in achievement from what I read on the screen near the main entrance. Keep up the good work!
Minister of Chocolate
These are some of the things we found out during Carl's visit.
- The fascinating history and origins of chocolate, including the Maya and Aztecs
- How and where cacao is grown – the cocoa harvesting process
- Looking at, feeling and tasting real cocoa beans, pods & nibs
- Sensory testing – using our five senses to understand chocolate
- Chocolate and health
- How chocolate is made
- Fairtrade principles, including bringing the concept to life using child-friendly role play
- A practical chocolate making session where we designed and made our very own chocolate product
- We all received a certificate at the end of the chocolate workshop – a great start to our future qualifications!
Click on the image below to visit the Ministry of Chocolate website.